Black Sea Shipping Company
The Black Sea Shipping Company originates from the early 1920's, when it was founded as Black Sea-Azov Sea Shipping as one of the Sovjet State fleets. Just after the second worldwar, the company was split into two parts, the first being the Black Sea Shipping Company, where this page is about, and the second one being the Azov Sea Shipping Company. The Azov Sea is just north of the Black Sea, just separated from eachother by a narrow strait and located in between the Krym peninsula, the Kaukasus and the southeastern part of Ukraine.
Just in the beginning of the 1990's, the Black Sea Shipping Company was the largest shippingcompany in Europe and the second largest in the world. But the fall of the Sovjet Union in 1991 marked the beginning of the end for the Black Sea Shipping Company, as well as most other state-owned companies of the former Sovjet Union. The company passed into the ownership of the new Ukrainian state, but was declared bankrupt in 2009.
At this moment, there still are a lot of ships sailing that were once owned by the company. Next to the ships that are placed in the next pages, there is another ship at castlesoftheseas.nl that has been owned by the Black Sea Shipping Company. One of the most well-known ships of its day, this is of course the Maxim Gorkiy. Also the Astor had been a part of the BLASCO fleet for a short while.